July 13, 2004 - I
On the same day as my last release and two years since their last album "Nothing", Meshuggah released an EP titled "I" on July 13, 2004. This EP is just one song, and it's exactly 21 minutes long! It's in the same organized chaotic style that Meshuggah are known for, but they've never recorded a song this long before. Let's see how prog-y Meshuggah can be!
The only song on the EP is the 21 minute title track "I" and they dive right into a super speedy, almost thrash-y riff with Tomas Haake playing some sweet fast drums and Fredrik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom syncing up for some slightly offbeat guitar that is pretty impressive that the two of them can stay synchronized in this odd time signature. Jens Kidman eventually comes in with one hell of a long, high scream that sounds super impressive! Then they snap into a "typical" Meshuggah main riff with Kidman yelling overtop of some hard-hitting and heavy guitars. They shift smoothly into a few different-yet-similar other riffs, showing off some excellent prgressiveness, and everything sounds super heavy the whole time! Thordendal delivers one hell of a solo in this earlier section where he is just shredding it unbelievably fast! It sounds so fucking amazing! He follows this solo with a new riff that is also super fast and cool and Thordendal is playing the bass as well, and he is playing some super fast and wicked bass as well! Almost eight minutes in the heaviness suddenly comes to a halt as they move into a super slow and trippy part that acts as a nice interlude into the next "typical" riff. Words don't do proper justice at all to not just all the awesome metal but all the smooth segues that keep things sounding like one fluid song still! There's so much headbangingly awesome guitar I couldn't possibly describe it all! Thordendal plays another solo that isn't nearly as glassy as the first one but is still good, then they slow it down again with another nice transition to a quiet and trippy new riff with some super low bass and trippy guitars coming in and out. Eventually this leads into a heavy, but still trippy part and somehow this leads smoothly into another verse with Kidman sounding as epic as ever. This riff lasts for the final few minutes until things devolve into static noise at the end.
That is the end of "I" and I thought it was a pretty wicked EP by Meshuggah! They did a fantastic job of making this 21 minute epic flow like a smooth metal river and it's just filled with great heavy music the whole way through, with a few key slower parts at well-timed spots. I can't rank this against their albums and it's the only EP I have by Meshuggah, but it was a pretty awesome one for sure!
That is the end of "I" and I thought it was a pretty wicked EP by Meshuggah! They did a fantastic job of making this 21 minute epic flow like a smooth metal river and it's just filled with great heavy music the whole way through, with a few key slower parts at well-timed spots. I can't rank this against their albums and it's the only EP I have by Meshuggah, but it was a pretty awesome one for sure!
Comments
Post a Comment